The numbers from January are in and this is what I have saved:
- Groceries: $286.87 (last January I didn’t care about my grocery spending)
- Eating out: $35.45
- Gas: -$1.50
- Natural gas: $44.91
- Electric: $3.50
- Auto Insurance: $604.46
- Mortgage overpayment: $100
This brings me to a total monthly savings of $1073.69 and a five month savings of $3127.42.
I realized that I’m really not doing as good as I want to on my electricity savings or gas. But I only go to doctor appointments and that’s 35 miles away which isn’t helpful. And I am also home using electricity all day whereas I used to go to work.
Here is what I am going to do to improve on electric costs for the month of February (Well, what is left of my cycle):
- Shower with the lighted fan on only. I have a six light vanity that provides great light, but I don’t need it while I shower.
- Prep meals and cook with only the kitchen lights on (3 lights) rather than the kitchen and table lights (7 more lights). I prep on the counter right next to the table but have managed just fine without it the last few days.
- Follow my Old Man around and turn off the lights he turns on. Our roles used to be reversed here.
- Turn my porch light on later and shut it off earlier.
- Sweep my hard floors rather than vacuum them every time there is something on them. This will push vacuuming to once a week.
- Run the furnace less. I am adjusting the schedule so by about 45 minutes in the evening to transition to my starting nighttime temperature of 64 better. This should help the gas bill too.
- Turn the television off while I am doing things in other rooms. Usually I turn the volume up so this will be a real challenge. We’ll see how it goes
- Open my blinds in the morning on days that aren’t windy to heat up the house and provide extra daylight.
Hopefully all of this pays off because I set a goal of reducing my electric bill by $38 this year over last, and right now, while I will hit that at this rate, I like to have a little more wiggle room for the hot summer that may (or may not) come and require some air conditioning.